The use of a safety helmet by a motorcyclist is a decision that can make the difference between life and death, between escaping unscathed from a motorcycle accident or suffering serious injuries whose consequences can be irreversible. No matter how close or far you go on your motorcycle, the best option is always to wear a helmet to protect your head.
Reasons why helmet use is important
We can list multiple reasons why a motorcyclist should take into account the use of a helmet when driving a motorcycle, however there are five reasons that have been investigated and demonstrated, we show them below:
- Head injuries are the leading cause of death from a motorcycle accident.
- The helmet prevents head injuries by more than 30%.
- Those motorcycle riders who decide not to use a helmet are 40% more likely to die in an accident.
- A motorcycle driver is 32 times more likely to be killed in an accident than a passenger car driver.
- The medical expenses of a motorcycle rider who rides without a helmet are 3 to 4 times higher than if they wear a helmet.
Maintenance and correct use of the helmet
The use of a helmet can represent life insurance for a motorcyclist, but if it is not used correctly and recommended maintenance it will be a simple ornament on your head. Here are six tips for you to use and maintain it correctly.
1. Properly close the strap that holds the bottom
It is very important to close and adjust to measure the strap that holds the lower part below the chin, although it may seem simple, by doing so you can prevent the helmet from leaving your head if you accelerate sharply or move in case of an accident.
2. Check that you have good ventilation
Make sure you are getting adequate ventilation with the visor down. It will help you have better visibility and safety. If a bad smell accumulates, you can request special versions of visors to solve the problem.
3. Keeps the visor clean and without scratches
It is very important that you keep the visor clean, so you can have a better perception of the road and what is happening around you while you move on your motorcycle. If the visor has any scratches, the quickest and cheapest way is to make a change.
If you use goggles, check that they are clean and adjusted correctly, that they do not because you discomfort or reduce visibility when you have the helmet on.
4. Extend the life of your helmet
Keeping the helmet in good condition is a simple task and it is your responsibility, as well as ensuring that it works correctly so that it is in optimal condition when you need it.
You can keep your helmet in good condition by following these tips:
- Do not leave it for long hours in low or high temperature conditions.
- Avoid hitting it against hard surfaces, do not paint it, or apply adhesives as they may contain some chemical component that can damage the material of your helmet.
- When the inner padding is deteriorated and does not hold your head well, it is time to throw it away and buy a new one.
5. Replace the helmet after an accident
In case of having an accident and receiving the impact on the helmet, it is possible that it experiences some deterioration, for this reason it is advisable to buy a new one.
6. If you have an accident, do not try to remove the helmet
Your helmet may need to be removed after a motorcycle accident to receive medical assistance, but it should be removed by trained emergency personnel to make the necessary maneuvers without causing worse harm.
There are many myths associated with wearing a helmet, but the reality is that it can save your life and prevent serious injury in the event of an accident.
At Singleton Bike Shop we will be happy to answer all your questions about which motorcycle or helmet is best for you. We invite you to come to the dealership and let's talk for a while. What do you think about the idea? Contact us or visit us on Facebook at Singleton Bike